It was a busy weekend (Friday May 31st to Sunday June 2nd) for Worthing Fire & Rescue Service with incidents from trees set alight on Hill Barn Golf Club to a petrol spillage in Rye Close.
Trees were set alight twice at Hill barn Golf Club – on Friday at lunchtime and again in the evening on Saturday. Both times the fires were started deliberately and each time the area was cordoned off for safety. On Sunday another deliberate fire was started in a refuse skip on Martletts Way Industrial Estate, Goring.
Accidental fires included on Friday at around 4.00 pm in the external area of a Heene Road flat with 5% damage to the exterior and internal smoke damage; an hour later a small fire in a tumble drier in the laundry room of a Shelley Road block of flats; at around 9.00 pm a square metre of wooden groyne destroyed by fire on the beach at Marine Parade. On Sunday just before 8.00 pm a small fire occurred in the chimney hearth behind a gas fire in a Broadwater Mews cottage in Broadwater Street East.
The petrol spillage on Sunday at lunchtime involved a small quantity leaking from a vehicle in Rye Close. The roadway was sanded and made safe.