Candle causes curtain fire in Goring Road

Candle causes curtain fire in Goring Road

 

A candle set light to a bedroom curtain in Goring Road, Goring yesterday evening (May 7th).

The small fire was out on arrival of Worthing firefighters who inspected the scene and gave advice. The fire was accidental. Officers attended between 9.04 pm and 9.16 pm.

West Sussex Fire & Rescue Service have the following to say on candles:

As with any naked flame, candles can be a cause of fire, especially in the home and particularly where there are children. Great care should be taken when using candles, so follow this simple fire safety advice.

  • Always place candles and tealights well away from curtains, furniture and drapes, and always out of draughts.
  • Keep candles out of reach of children and pets.
  • Never leave a burning candle unattended.
  • Keep candles away from hair and clothing.
  • Always place candles upright in suitable holders that cannot fall over easily.
  • Always make sure that candles are properly extinguished, especially before going to bed.
  • Never put tea lights on top of TV sets or other plastic surrounds such as baths; the results could be devastating.
  • Always ensure that tea lights are in proper holders.
  • Keep matches and lighters out of reach of children.
  • Remember,the risk of accidents is greater when alcohol has been consumed.