A disabled person’s automatic home alarm alerted an operator to dial 999 yesterday afternoon (December 18th) when a fire broke out.
The fire involving a washing machine was in the rear utility room of a bungalow in Foundry Road, Worthing. The utility room was 10% fire damaged and 30% damaged by smoke. The conservatory and kitchen were also smoke damaged.
Fortunately, because West Sussex Fire & Rescue Service had carried out a Home Fire Safety Check, the bungalow was protected by a Careline System with a specialist ‘community firelink’ smoke alarm. This meant that an operator at a 24-hr monitoring centre was automatically alerted to the fire and could place the 999 call to the Fire Service.
The disabled occupier who would have found it hard to leave the front room of the bungalow was given specialist fire survival guidance by the fire service Command and Control operators before arrival of the fire crews. On arrival the crews assisted her from the building where she was medically assessed by ambulance paramedics but didn’t need go to hospital.
Officers attended between 2.21 pm and 2.49 pm.