Chimney fire in Franklin Road

Chimney fire in Franklin Road

 

Worthing firefighters attended a chimney fire in Franklin Road Durrington yesterday afternoon at around 4.00 pm.   The occupiers were given advice:

If you have had a chimney fire it is essential that you have your flue inspected by a competent person to ensure it has not been damaged. The chimney must also be properly cleaned before using the fire again.

To prevent chimney fires in the future and possible structural damage to your property, please ensure your chimney is cleaned at least as often as listed below.

  • Solid fuel appliances: Once per year for smokeless fuel and twice per year for coal
  • Wood burning appliances: Quarterly when in use
  • Gas appliances: Once per year if designed for sweeping
  • Oil fired appliances: Once per year

It is not sufficient to clean a chimney using a vacuum cleaner alone. Ensure your chimney flue is inspected at regular intervals to prevent fire breaking out of the chimney. Fireguards can prevent serious injury or even death, and sparkguards can prevent a serious property fire.

West Sussex Fire and Rescue Service attended over 150 chimney fires in the last 12 months.