Electrical fault causes small fire in Grafton Road

Electrical fault causes small fire in Grafton Road

 

Worthing firefighters investigated smoke issuing from a house in Grafton Road, Worthing and a smell of smoke in the basement yesterday (Thursday November 13th). The small fire was in an electrical extension lead but was out on arrival of the officers.

The officers who gave advice attended between 11.15 am and 11.36 am.  The fire was accidental.

West Sussex Fire & Rescue Service and West Sussex County Council Trading Standards Service have teamed up during Electrical Fire Safety Week (November 10th to 15th) to raise awareness of the dangers of electrical products and offer advice on how to reduce the risk of an electrical fire in the home.

Some advice given is:  (a) Watch out for hot plugs and sockets, fuses that blow for no reason and scorch marks on sockets or plugs. (b) Check electrical leads and plugs for wear and tear and faulty wiring. Frayed leads or exposed internal wires are fire risks. (c) Don’t overload sockets – use one plug in each socket.