Area’s first dedicated beach volleyball school aims to find new talent and build new local sporting community.
Beach volleyball may not be the sport you associate with a pebble-beach seaside town. But coach Kirsty Starmer of Beach Volleyball School believes Worthing is the perfect place to build on London 2012’s Olympic initiative to identify new young talent and get the sand courts on the town’s Beach Parade buzzing throughout the summer and beyond. The School will be offering a number of beginners’ classes for adults and children as well as parent and toddler classes and monthly free taster sessions from June 2015.
Kirsty, head coach and driving force behind the Sussex branch of Beach Volleyball School, admits she was hooked from the start
She said: “Beach volleyball isn’t just a sport – it’s a lifestyle – your fitness will improve, but the mental health and social benefits are also huge. I started playing six years ago and haven’t looked back. It may sound crazy but beach volleyball, and the people I’ve met through it, really has changed my life.”
And if that hasn’t convinced you, Kirsty has five more reasons why you should try beach volleyball with Worthing’s new specialist school:
- Starting in California in the 1920s and increasing in popularity in the 1960s, Beach Volleyball has attracted all sorts of people – even the Beatles wanted to be associated with that “Californian cool”, playing in front of JF Kennedy in the 60s. Beach Volleyball School can help you be part of that same vibe.
- Running around in the sand can burn around 500 calories in 60 minutes, it burns fat, tones and shapes your body and improves both your strength and agility. Our learners are all shapes and sizes and all find their fitness has improved.
- It’ll improve your business! A June 2008 study reported by the Centre for Economic Policy Research found that those who regularly participate in team sports, like beach volleyball, developed better networking, leadership and cooperation skills.
- Injuries from playing beach volleyball are rare (especially when you have the right coach!) and many people recovering from injury even take up beach volleyball to maintain their fitness and aid their recovery.
- Fun in the sun – and lots of it. Not only is beach volleyball great fun, but you’ll be taking advantage of all that wonderful sunshine and fresh air. There’s no way you’ll leave the court without a smile on your face.
Beach Volleyball School was founded in Croyde, Devon by former International Pro Beach Volleyball Player and Volleyball England Staff Tutor, Denise Austin. Beach Volleyball School offers its unique approach to coaching beach volleyball across the UK and beyond. It believes that everyone –young or old, regardless of sporting ability or agility – can learn to play beach volleyball and attain the many benefits. And this is achieved through high quality coaching and instruction in a healthy, friendly and supportive environment.
Contact Kirsty Starmer at Beach Volleyball School, Sussex. Call 07900 198631 or e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org