Sussex Police warn people to take care as more heavy rain and strong winds are predicted to hit the county from 10.00 pm tonight (Thursday December 26th).
Chief Inspector Ed De La Rue said: “We are anticipating more heavy rain, up to 30mm and gusts of 60 miles per hour in some areas, however it is not expected to be as severe as earlier on in the week. Nonetheless we are asking people to take care if you are out and about.
“Please be prepared to allow enough time to make journeys and watch out for hazards when out of the county’s road. Be aware of strong winds, large puddles and fallen trees and branches. Be cautious and slow down. If you are out driving make sure you take supplies in case the journey takes longer than anticipated, have a blanket, waterproofs and some drinking water. Please think carefully before you leave the house and if it is not essential we would advise you to stay indoors.
“There are still people across the county who have no mains power; if you are using generators, candles, open fires or other sources of heat, light or power please be careful, as they may not be as safe as your normal electrical supply.”
Be aware there are still some risk of flooding, mainly in West Sussex. You can check for flood alerts on the Environment Agency’s website at: http://www.environment-agency.gov.uk/homeandleisure/floods/31618.aspx, on Twitter at @EnvAgencySE and on Facebook.
Chief Inspector De La Rue said: “As always, we would ask that you look out for your neighbours and other people in your community, especially if they may be vulnerable and particularly if there is a power cut, flooding or other difficulties in your area. Keep listening to your local radio stations for up-to-date weather and travel advice and if you are out and about, keep safe.”
“All the emergency services, local authorities and other agency will be working to make sure the county is as safe as possible.”