Two men found guilty of Worthing attack that cost man his arm and legs

Two men found guilty of Worthing attack that cost man his arm and legs


Another two men have been found guilty of stabbing a man who lost his arms and legs in Worthing last year.

Patrick Brookes, 26, unemployed, from Clifton Road, Worthing, and Jeremiah Reynolds, 25, unemployed, from Ascham End, North London, were found guilty yesterday (March 11th) after a three week retrial at Hove Crown Court.

Dominic Brookes, 18, a student from Bramble Close, Croydon, and a 17-year-old boy from Worthing were charged with GBH with intent and found guilty at Hove Crown Court in August.

The victim, Ernest Moyo, who is known as Joe, was attacked as he left a party in Pavilion Road in Worthing on Saturday August 11th 2012. The then 25-year-old had been at the party and after an altercation with another group, he left. Later he returned with friends and there was a fight with the four men.

He was stabbed in the leg and stomach and was left in the road where emergency services rushed to the scene. Joe was left fighting for his life and was in hospital with three stab wounds, one to his thigh and two to his abdomen. After infection spread and his vital organs were put in danger, the decision by doctors was made to amputate his arms and legs.

His family were so distressed by the incident and Joe had such little recollection of what happened to him, they told him initially he had been in a car crash.

Patrick Brookes was arrested on the night, along with another man who was later released without charge, and then charged with GBH with intent the following day. Nine days later, Reynolds, Dominic Brookes and the 17-year-old, who was 16 at the time, were arrested and charged also with GBH with intent on August 22nd.

They all pleaded not guilty, claiming they were not involved in stabbing Joe.

All four of them will be sentenced on the week beginning April 22nd.

Detective Constable Laura Sinden said: “I have been with Joe and his family throughout the investigation and the trial and am pleased for them that these four people have been brought to justice. The attack happened after a row about a mobile phone and escalated into a young man almost losing his life. The injuries Joe sustained from the stab wounds have meant he had to have his limbs amputated and therefore the consequences of that night will be with him for the rest of his life.

“This was a vicious attack that left Joe fighting for his life in the middle of the road. We have worked hard, with the support of Joe’s family, to bring these men to justice.”

Joe’s long term girlfriend, Amy Dunne, said: “Joe’s injuries were life-threatening and all his limbs had to be amputated. He was in the Royal Sussex County Hospital in Brighton for a few months on life support. For two to three months every day both our families visited him hoping and praying, before finally he was taken off the life support and moved to another ward. Joe went to another hospital in Roehampton to rehabilitate where he was fitted with prosthetic legs and then arms.

“We all visited Joe every day and he has recovered extremely well. It has been very hard for myself and both our families and friends to come to terms with the life changing injuries he received. Joe and myself will have to deal with his injuries everyday as we make a future together, making our lives totally different from what they would have been.

“We would all like to thank the nurses, doctors and surgeons at the Royal Sussex and Roehampton hospitals for all their care and support that they gave to Joe. We would also like to thank Sussex Police especially DC Tony Taylor, DC Laura Sinden and PC Vicky Bailey for all of their hard work and support.

“We are very happy with the outcome of the trial in so much these people have been held accountable for the life-changing injuries caused to Joe.”

Need Help?

Need Help?

Drop our team here at Worthing Daily a quick message and we will get back to you as soon as possible